Thursday, 2 October 2008

The Doubtful Guest: Version 1.5

Posted by Holly Race (Assistant Director, The Doubtful Guest)

On the long train journey from Cambridge to Plymouth on Monday, I unexpectedly found myself sitting opposite an old friend. Having carried the memory of her – her physicality and personality, and how much I liked her – around with me for years, it was surprising to realise how much about her I had forgotten.

You can see where this analogy is going: walking back into the rehearsal room on Tuesday was strangely shocking.

Having worked on /The Doubtful Guest: Version 1.0/ it has been fascinating to re-visit the play and watch it change and grow over the last week. Some of my favourite moments from the original version have been reworked, and while it was a wrench to watch them go, the piece has without doubt become stronger as a result. The themes and drive behind the play are far clearer and, if possible, I have grown to love the ever-so-proper Bishop family even more.

So even if you met the Guest on its first escapade, why not come and see it again, and witness even more of the trials and troubles of the Bishop Family. If you haven’t seen it yet – you’re in for a treat!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails