Sunday, 16 August 2009

Hoipolloi's Big weekend


Hugh played to a sold out house last night (boosted by four stars and a great write-up in the FT) and numbers are looking strong for tonight too. It's lovely to see the Pleasance Courtyard looking nice and full and to be out and about talking to people about the show.

360 has settled into place beautifully and there were some lovely moments during last week's performances. My favourite was when Hugh invited the audience to sing Happy Birthday to a woman who'd told him on her way in that she was turning 22. Hugh then remembered that there's a piano stored behind the curtain at the back of the stage, and dragged it out before recruiting another audience member to play along. He made me giggle when he stopped everyone just before we were about to start, to say, "Hang on a minute, does everyone know the tune?"

We had a celebrity visit from Daniel Kitson, who'd seen Hugh's work before and enjoyed 360 too. (I would recommend and link to his show as a courtesy but he sold out so long ago that there's really no point.)

I finally saw My Name Is Sue last week, having had it recommended to me by everyone I met. And I enjoyed it so much I went back the next night! Wonderful character comedy and songs: deranged and exhilarating in equal measure. The only show that will have you leaving the theatre singing, "We're all going to die" whilst feeling ten times happier than when you came in!

GO AND SEE MY NAME IS SUE AT PLEASANCE TWO AT 9.45PM
(I don't use capital letters lightly)

And whilst you're at it, click here to book tickets for Hugh Hughes in... 360 and click here to book tickets for The Doubtful Guest. I'm going to leave with you a video trailer which should seal the deal...




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails